Sunday, November 7, 2010

Supporter, Champion, Admirer..

When I looked up the word friend the first three synonyms I found were supporter, champion and admirer. These are all charming, loving words that make me feel warm inside! But lately God has really laid it on my heart to re-evaluate what being a friend really means, who I should have in my life, and what kind of friend He wants me to be.

There are some people that I have loved and trusted for years of my life that don't truly have my best interest at heart. This is so disheartening and it really saddens me. It makes me second guess everything that I used to believe a friend was. I used to think a friend was someone who likes the same movies, music, activities and even people that I did and they disliked the same things and people I disliked. That is completely shallow and the first red flag. A true friend should want you to be the very best person you can be through Christ, and that does NOT include sitting around gossiping. I am by no means implying that I've got my tongue tamed and under control but I do know that it's a desire of my heart to please God by holding back in this area of my life. God wants me to surround myself with supportive people who want the same in their lives also.

I know that no one has got it all together, all the time. We're all human and we all have bad days every once in a while. But a true friend will hold you up to God on your gray days and encourage you along the way. On an aspect as equally important, they will also let you comfort them when they are heart broken. They don't harden their hearts and push you away whenever they feel that way. A huge part of being loving friends is being vulnerable with each other and trusting the other to love you during your time of darkness.

The last but certainly most important aspect of being a true friend is lifting the other up in prayer. Every girl dreams about her wedding day for a majority of her life. I was no exception to this and as much as I dreamt of the pretty dress, beautiful flowers, and dimly candlelit reception hall, I imagined something even more beautiful than that. I always pictured my bridesmaids huddled around me, crying tears of joy with me, praying over me. For my future, for my relationship with my husband, and for all of the upcoming bumps in the road. The girls you chose as bridesmaids aren't just girls you have fun hanging out with or have alot in common with. They are your true friends. They are Godly influences in your life that lift you up to the Lord daily. They have your absolute best interest at heart and are always supportive of you. They don't criticize in a negative way or judge you. True friendships are gifts from God and should always be cherished greatly. God is beginning to reveal to me who my true friends are and I'm more and more thankful each time I think of them. <3



Be a true friend.
[As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. -Proverbs 27:17]

1 comment:

  1. I needed to read this today Sarah :) Thank you so much for being such an inspiration! Hope you visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete